Saturday, October 4, 2008

Save The Boobs


Last October, I found out a friend of mine had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Now, a year later, I found out one of my very favorite aunts in the world is not responding to treatments after a looooong battle with breast cancer. Our hearts are very, very heavy, and we are praying fervently for her.

My mom's sister, Jenny

It seems so ironic that these both happened the month of October, which as you probably know is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So I felt compelled to do something, anything to help this cause.

My aunt's daughter (my cousin Melissa) is an amazing, creative artist. She has a site that showcases all of her work, and an etsy shop with awesome creations dedicated to this cause. What is the most incredible thing to me is that, even though I know she is suffering greatly through this ordeal with her mom, she approaches the topic with humor, as her art reflects. Melissa has ALWAYS had a very active (albeit somewhat twisted ;) sense of humor that I have always adored, and so it is only fitting that this is how she is coping.

Melissa and Jenny

Here are some of her creations (everything shown is available for purchase in her Etsy shop. 20% of all proceeds are given to those with breast cancer.)



And here is some of her absolutely amazing photography. More can be found here.

(This one is my favorite.)

She also made a video of the pictures she took following my aunt through her ordeal. It's unbelievably powerful. You can watch it here.

Let's remember those who are suffering from Breast Cancer this month, and do all we can to help them, even if it's just with a hug. We are here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment