Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day of 2nd Grade


I know I'm a day late, but better late than never, right? This picture is less than stellar, but I was already madly dashing out the door as it was when I remembered to take a picture. Macy had already covered up her adorable dress with her old, grungy jacket and I had no time to tell her to take it off. We were still late for her first day of school. Yay, Mom. That extra half-hour of sleep really didn't seem worth it anymore. As we pulled up to the school (just as the bell rang) I realized she had no idea how to find her classroom from outside. I told her to go through the inside, I knew she could find it that way. She later told me she beat all the kids into her classroom, they were still lined up outside. I asked her if her teacher asked why she came that way and she said no. We like to make good first impressions, the Lepperts.

But despite my shortcomings as a mother, Macy still managed to have a great first day. She knows a lot of kids in her class and even gets to sit next to one of her best friends, Kenzie. She loves her teacher and thinks she's hilarious. I am so grateful and relieved that the unknown teacher is turning out to be a winner.

Meanwhile, back at home, I was quickly reminded how much fun it is for Payson to be home without a playmate. Loads. Of. Fun. He was instantly laying on me, whining, asking when he got to go to school. I had a flash of brilliance and remembered it'd been a while since Grandma had had some quality one-on-one time with Payson. But then Aunt Amy intercepted and before he could say "dead brain cells" Payson was on her couch playing Lego Indiana Jones on the XBox with cousin Anderson who didn't start school till today. He thought he'd died and gone to heaven. So did I. I debated for a moment crawling back into bed but was proud of myself for deciding instead to vacuum and mop my disgusting kitchen floor, do my dishes, clean off my counter tops that were covered in bills and papers, and clean my messy family room. It felt so wonderful being so productive and having a semi-clean house, all with no kids.

Then I picked up Macy and Payson and came home and crashed. Days with this headache: 16 and counting. Today as I lay on my couch willing the pain to go away, I actually began dreaming (in the wishful kind of way, not the sleep kind of way) of a catscan. I think it may really be time. They're not that expensive, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment