Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teaser Tuesday


"Wait!" She yelled, grabbing her bowstaff as she ran out the door. He stopped and turned, squinting at her face, one hand on the car door.
"You can't leave. Not yet." She was straining to keep her voice calm. The last thing she wanted was for him to know how much she was hurting.
"Why not?" He growled. "You don't want me here. I know you don't trust me. Ever since I joined the circus you've been distant. It's just not the same anymore." He looked away, and she realized he was fighting back tears himself.
"Rudolfo..." What could she say? How could she tell him the one thing that she swore she would never tell a single soul? He stared at her, so intensely she felt the urge to run and hide.
"Rudolfo, I need to tell you something." She gazed at his red foam nose, terrified. "Renesmee didn't die in that avalanche." She watched his eyes widen in shock, but forced herself to go on. "It was me...I did it. I killed her."
Rudolfo's mouth slowly dropped open, and it was moments before he could speak. "H--how?"
Absiddy turned her face away, ashamed to look him in the eye. "It....it was....soap poisoning!"

© A. Leppert 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment