Monday, March 31, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl



You know how you usually go to a movie and you either like it more than you thought you would or you like it less? This was one of those rare occasions for me where I liked it exactly the amount I thought I would. Fortunately, I knew I would like this movie. This movie genre is my FAVORITE. Romantic Drama. (I don't actually know if that's what it's called but I can't think of a better name for it) I love me some good heart-wrenching, tragic, raw emotional, intense drama. No comic relief for this girl. Serve it up nice and depressing-like.

I'd heard of Ann Boleyn before, only that she was one of the wives of Henry VIII and was famous for getting her head chopped off. (No I did NOT just give away a huge spoiler, this is HISTORY people. Didn't you pay attention in history? No? Me neither. I actually know this from the movie Steel Magnolias. Remember the scene where they're in Dolly Parton's beauty salon and someone reads from a magazine that Anne Boleyn had six fingers on one hand? It's a funny scene, go watch it.) Anyway, that was all I knew. So I was slightly intrigued by the other Boleyn girl. (Did you like that play on the title? I know, genius.)

Apparently Anne Boleyn (Natalie Portman) had a sister, Mary, (Scarlett Johansson) who was known as the "fairer of the two." (It still makes me laugh that Scarlett Johansson is one of the "bombshells" of Hollywood now. She will always be the incredibly homely girl from The Horse Whisperer to me.) Their father, in an attempt to raise their status from lower class to...whatever, ships them off to the King (Eric Bana, who is scrum-diddly) upon hearing His Majesty is seeking a mistress. What plays out is a fascinating look at 16th century England, the politics of royal life, and the powerful relationships between siblings, and, more specifically, sisters.

What I liked:

~ My only fear in seeing this was that it would be chalk full of graphic love scenes. I think the previews were 90% bedroom scenes. But I was hopeful that with the PG13 rating would come the good ole' scan-to-the-walls-and-window shots. I was not let down. I was actually shocked (pleasantly so) at the lack of graphic love scenes. (Don't get me wrong, it's not squeaky clean. There is one scene in particular, albeit short, that made me a tad uncomfortable to be watching with my gal pals.)

~ Scarlett Johansson. I know what I just said about her, but it was nice to see her play the "sweet, innocent" one, when the obvious choice is usually for her to play the sex kitten. She was entirely convincing as a virtuous, loving, devoted sister and wife who only wanted to do what was right by her God and her family. Natalie Portman wasn't as convincing for me as the "bad one." I think maybe I like her too much or maybe it's that I've never seen her play the "villain." I don't know. It was just weird for me to watch her be so conniving and vicious.

~ Eric Bana. (Did I mention how yummy he was?) I've never seen him in anything really, and I really, really liked him. A lot. Now I can finally stop thinking of him as the Incredible Hulk. He will now be known as the Incredible Hunk.

~ The most satisfying thing to me was that despite the twists and turns in the storyline, the back-and-forth relationships between Henry, Anne and Mary, and the always confusing web of who-is-related-to-who and who-is-together-with-who that accompanies all English society of olden times (see Jane Austen's works), I was able to follow it. All. Nothing makes me hate a movie more or lose interest more quickly than being confused by the story.

My only complaint is that despite all this, it was still just good. Not great, not spectacular, just... good. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the lack of surprises or graphic love scenes (just kidding), but I probably won't be standing in Walmart at 11:59 the night before it comes out on DVD. I will buy it, though, and maybe have a good ole' depressing, tragic, heart-wrenching girls' night in to watch it. You know you wanna come.

No comments:

Post a Comment